The Emerging Filmmaker Award is awarded to filmmakers who have presented complete scripts and production plans to create a feature or short film of their genre of choice. The filmmaker chosen for the award receives fiscal agent support, a cash award, and a screening event of their film.
2016 application opens Jul 1st and ends Oct 1st. Please allow 17 days from closing of acceptance of applications for announcement of winner.
Eligibility for Emerging Filmmaker Award
- The filmmaker is at least 18 years old.
- The filmmaker is actively engaged in a film, video, television or other moving-image project in any genre and in any stage of production—from screenwriting to strategically planning the project’s exhibition, distribution and outreach plan.
- The project is noncommercial and represents an imaginative contribution to the moving image art form.
- The project budget is $10,000 or less including all phases of production.
- Must live within the Greater Cincinnati Qualifying counties- Brown County, Ohio; Butler County, Ohio; Clermont County, Ohio; Hamilton County, Ohio; Warren County, Ohio; Boone County, Kentucky; Bracken County, Kentucky; Campbell County, Kentucky; Gallatin County, Kentucky; Grant County, Kentucky; Kenton County, Kentucky; Pendleton County, Kentucky; Dearborn County, Indiana; Franklin County, Indiana; Ohio County, Indiana
How to Submit
Application fee $75 (Waived for Filmmaker in Motion Members), fill out the application, and submit treatment, bio, curriculum vitae, project budget, crew and talent list, and artist statement.
A Panel made up of Cincinnati film critics, educators, and professionals
ADMISSIONS REVIEW PANEL
The Cincinnati Film Society will convene a review panel to review applications and grant award at its sole discretion.
The Cincinnati Film Society encourages and welcomes filmmakers from all backgrounds to apply. CFS does not discriminate with regard to age, race, gender, sexual orientation, disability, religion, marital status or national origin in its application policies.
No CFS employees or members of any CFS boards may apply.
Application Questions (Prepare your answers in a separate document for submitting.)
How did you hear about this award?
What creative or professional experience do you have that will help to empower you to complete this project?
What crew and talent have committed to this project? (Please attach names and brief qualifications, if applicable.)
What additional funding, if any, have you secured for this project? (The answer to this question will have no bearing on the award-making decision.)
LETTER OF INQUIRY
- Logline. In a couple sentences, please describe the crux of your film (75 words or less)
- Bio (200 words or less)
- Project synopsis (300 words or less)
- How does the film contribute to or uplift the Cincinnati film-making community professionally or economically? (150 words or less)
- Please describe your artistic vision and stylistic approach. How will your film look and feel? (150 words or less)
- How will you measure the success of this project as it relates to audience impact and basic distribution strategy? (150 words or less)
- Describe the anticipated impact of the requested award on your short- and long-term professional and artistic goals. (150 words or less)
- List the names and roles and briefly describe the qualifications of the other key (3 to 5) individuals involved in the project. These individual could include producers, directors of photography, editors, actors, or other key cast and crew. State the date they became attached to the project (300 words or less).